Asking Quality Questions
“Questions provide the key to unlocking our unlimited potential. Quality questions create a quality of life. Successful people ask better questions, and as a result, they get better answers.” – Anthony Robbins
Throughout his career, Anthony Robbins has been driven by a single question: what makes the difference in the quality of people’s lives? He came to the conclusion that it is the questions we ask of ourselves and how well we look inside to find the answers that plays a key role. In other words, asking quality and probing questions is your key to success.
“You and I have that same power at our disposal every moment of the day,” says Anthony Robbins. “At the moment, the questions that we ask ourselves can shape our perception of who we are, what we’re capable of, and what we’re willing to do to achieve our dreams.”
“The genuine quality of life comes from consistent, quality questions,” says Robbins. If you ask great questions, your Higher Self will provide great answers and solutions. Conversely, “If you ask a terrible question, you’ll get a terrible answer,” he says.
Robbins popularized the use of questions in his excellent Personal Power programs. He devised three sets of questions: one for mornings, one for night, and another set to use when dealing with problems throughout the day.
What am I most happy about in my life right now?
What about that makes me happy?
What am I most excited about in my life right now?
What am I most grateful for in my life right now?Steps to Receive Guidance from Your Higher Self
What am I enjoying most in my life right now?
What am I most committed to in my life right now?
Who do I love? Who loves me?
What can I do today that will bring me joy?
What are the most important things for me to do today that are for my
highest and best good?
What have I learned today?
What have I enjoyed today?
What have I improved upon or contributed today?
How has today added to my life?
What did I do today towards reaching my goals?
Problem Solving Questions
What do I need to do today towards reaching my goals?
How can I become successful and enjoy the process?
What can I learn from this experience?
How can I make this happen right now and enjoy the process?
What’s working? What can be better?
What is better than this?
What’s actually funny about this situation that I haven’t noticed before?
Before you can receive guidance from your Higher Self, you must first get out of your head and into your heart. In other words, you must become heart centered, and the first seven steps below are about doing just that.
1. Have the intention of becoming heart centered and be still (whether lying down, sitting or standing).
2. Close your eyes if you can, because your attention is drawn inward when your eyes are closed. If you prefer, keep your eyes open and focus on a spot ahead of you.
3. Slow down your breathing a bit, taking longer, deeper, and more deliberate breaths.
4. Touch the area of your chest above your heart with one of your hands, as you would when you say the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
5. Notice the rise and fall of your hand as you breathe in and out. It’s as if you are breathing from your heart.
6. Now, think of something puts a smile on your face (while keeping your hand over your heart). Perhaps it’s a fond memory of a parent, a child, or loved one. Or, perhaps it’s your favorite pet. Whatever it is, feel gratitude as if the memory is happening in the now. You should be smiling. If not, find another memory that puts a smile on your face and it generates the feeling of gratitude.
7. Continue doing that (slow breathing, hand on chest, and happy thought in mind) for several minutes. After two-three minutes, you should be heart coherent, which can last for up to six or seven hours. You are now out of your head and in your heart.
8. Next, while continuing to breathe slowly and deliberately, move your attention to your solar plexus for several breaths, and then even lower to your gut. Breathe slowly from there – noticing your lower belly expandand contract as you breathe in and out. It is helpful to place your hand on your stomach, covering your navel, and notice the movement of your hand as you breathe deeply and slowly.
9. You should notice a shift from external to internal consciousness as you continue to focus on your breath and the movement of your belly. You are in the now, just being, which is where you access your Higher Self. Trust that you have clear channel of communication with your Higher Self. It’s ALL about trust.
10. Now, you are ready to ask your Higher Self a question (refer to the section above on asking quality questions). Start your question with “Dear Higher Self…”
11. Whatever comes back to you first is the answer. Receive it without any doubt or judgment.
12. Follow whatever answer, guidance, or ideas come from your Higher Self.After a bit of practice, you be able to do steps 1-7 fairly quickly and become heart coherent. Then, you can move your focus down to your gut and ask quality questions of your Higher Self.
When you receive an answer, it up to you to act upon it. It’s your choice. Know that every single small course correction and improvement matters. Remember CANI and Kaizen. Good change is good, no matter how small or insignificant it seems at first. Because, when you make that change, you are actually shifting into an adjacent possibility of existence. Every time you make a small change for the better, you are stimulating a butterfly effect that will, in essence, change your entire life.