Did you know that your mind loves it when you ask questions? The right questions can give you direction and have the ability to change your focus in an instant, transforming your state of mind from limiting to empowering, and opening doorways to new opportunities.
Sounds wonderful doesn’t it? Of course the critical factor here is your attitude, because no matter how powerful the intention or how good the question is, if your attitude going in is “this is a waste of time,” then the process is going to feel like trying to drive your car with one foot on the gas and one on the break, which means you’re sabotaging yourself before you ever even begin.
Remember, it’s not the events of your life that determine how you feel and act but, rather, the meaning you create from your life’s experiences. Learning to ask empowering questions – especially in moments of crisis – is a critical skill that will ultimately shape the meanings you create, and therefore the quality of your life. ~Anthony Robbins
The Nature of Empowering Questions
While it may seem obvious, it’s nevertheless important to state that the kind of questions you ask yourself will trigger specific types of responses; but let’s consider a couple of examples to see how this can play out for better or worse.
What if you were to repeatedly ask yourself questions such as “Why am I always so unlucky?” or “Why didn’t I know better?” or “Why am I always the loser in these situations?” Such questions are self-defeating, and the answers you get with them will naturally be disempowering.
On the other hand, questions like “What can I learn from this experience?”… “How can I do this differently to come up with a better outcome?” or “What really matters most to me at this moment?” and (my personal favorite) “How can I make this happen?” are empowering and provoke you to think in terms of possibilities, immediately setting you on the path to a better, more resilient life.
Listed below are twenty questions designed to inspire you to think about your life now, consider unexplored opportunities, and challenge you to really consider what it will take to grow into your best possible life.
20 Empowering Questions
1. What do you love most about yourself?
2. What do you do really, really well?
3. What would you like to learn to do really, really well?
4. What can you do today to begin?
5. What gets you truly excited about life?
6. How do you define your purpose in life?
7. When was the last time you did something for the very first time?
8.What are your top 5 values? Are you (honestly!) living those values every day?
9. What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?
10. What do you imagine yourself doing 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years from now?
11. What will your success look like?
12. What has the fear of failure stopped you from doing?
13. What one step could you take today to begin overcoming that fear?
14. Do you have healthy boundaries or do you let people take advantage of you?
15. What motivates you to do your very best?
16. What one thing have you not done that you really want to do?
17. What are you waiting for?
18. Who do you need to forgive?
19. What is your number one goal in the next 6 months?
20. What self-limiting belief have you been clinging to? How would your life be better if you banished this belief?
Right now, at this very moment, what do you want most? What are you going to do about it?
What is the biggest obstacle that stands in the way of your happiness?
How would you describe your future in 3 words?
At the end of the day, the questions we ask of ourselves determine the type of people that we will become. ~Leo Babauta
Questions have a dramatic effect on everything you do in life. Whatever you focus on the most will eventually become your reality. By training yourself to consciously ask empowering questions, regardless of your circumstances, you will be able to direct your mind to focus on new possibilities and solutions.
Let today be the day you give up who you’ve been for who you can become.